HOME MADE PESTO
Pesto is super simple to make, there really is no need to buy a ready made one. Make the most of the basil season and stock up.
• 4 large handfuls fresh basil leaves, ideally organic
• 60g pine nuts – or 100g if not using cheese
• 2 large or 3 small garlic cloves
• 125ml extra virgin olive oil
• Juice of a small lemon
• 3 tbsp freshly grated pecorino cheese – optional
• Small pinch sea salt
Lightly toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan, keep an eye on them as they burn easily. Then place the toasted pine nuts and basil leaves in a food processor, and pulse until chopped into small pieces. Add in the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and sea salt, and blend well. Add in the grated cheese and pulse a few times to mix it through. If you’re not using the cheese, add a small pinch extra sea salt to compensate. Taste and add extra oil, lemon, seasoning or cheese accordingly.